As Fred’s experience has shown us, it’s essential to evaluate the quality of the information you find on the web.
Before citing information from a website in your academic paper, apply the following criteria:
- Author: What is his profession? Is he/she an authority in the field? Where does he work?
- Website: Who owns it? What’s its purpose? Who’s the target audience?
- Publication date: Is the information up to date?
- Bibliographic references: Are there any? Are they complete and varied?
- Structure and style: Is the tone correct? Is the information arranged in a coherent manner?
Each main point has corresponding criteria. Use the template document below to assess a web page’s quality and reliability.